It takes a brave man to try, and an even braver man to fall and learn from his mistakes. Or something like that…
The ExtensionsMadeEasy has become increasingly popular. Perhaps because it’s small, sexy and functional, or perhaps because I have been shoving it down your throats in every post I can. Either way, people have started using it, and with users comes feedback.
I must thank Philippe and Dennis Tennis for running into serious issues and calmly reporting / discussing them without going in an all caps rage or down voting the extension.
Dennis, I created a working sample where both a theme and a shell are dynamically loaded. During the making / debugging / verifying, I ran into a couple of problems.
This lead me to review my previous guides on debugging your theme or shell extension. I previously stated that you can go ahead and install the theme or shell extension to a test project, then work from there. However, thanks to you pushing me to test the ExtensionsMadeEasy more thoroughly, I found that the best results are ALWAYS obtained by not installing your extension, but simply adding the Extensions client projects to your solution (Add Extisting), and adding a project reference from your LightSwitch test application client project to the newly added Extensions client project. The previous posts have been updated.
That solved the first of the problems where breakpoints were sometimes not being hit, and while struggling to finally get that fixed, I found a reproducable way of running into the bug that Philippe found (the ServiceProxy not being found…). I’m happy to report that this issue has been quickfixed in a structural way in ExtensionsMadeEasy 1.5. So go ahead and update it.
Feedback like yours, and all others in the comment sections, eventually makes our products better, so keep them coming. The good, the bad, the ugly, the constructive feedback, I’ll learn to love them all!